Work permits - main features
- Work permits are available for occupations with an annual salary of €30,000 or more.
- Work permits for jobs with an annual salary below €30,000 will only be considered in exceptional cases
- Work permits will not be considered for occupations listed as ineligible for work permits - see below
- The work permit is granted for 2 years initially, and then for a further 3 years. - see 'Renewal of work permits' below.
- A labour market needs test (see below) is required with all work permit applications
- Either the employer or employee can apply for the employment permit, based on an offer of employment
- It will be granted to the employee and will include a statement of the employee's rights and entitlements
- The employer is prohibited from deducting recruitment expenses from the employee's pay or retaining the employee's personal documents