Tuesday, November 9, 2010


Losing your job

If you lose your job through redundancy you should notify the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Innovation. From 28 August 2009 there are new provisions for non-EEA workers as follows:
Work permit for 5 years:
If you have been made redundant after working on a work permit for 5 consecutive years you will no longer need a permit to work in Ireland. You should apply to your local immigration officer - see 'Registration' below who will issue you with a stamp 4 immigration permission for one year. This permission may be renewed annually and it will allow you to take up any employment but not self-employment.
Work permit for less than 5 years:
The Department of Enterprise, Trade and Innovation will allow you a period of 6 months (was 3 months) to find another job. When you find another job you have to apply for a new work permit but a labour market needs test is not required. If you were made redundant from a job which is on the list of ineligible categories you may apply for a new work permit for a job on that ineligible list.
You should contact your local immigration officer to confirm your immigration status – see 'Registration' below. If you have more than 6 months before your immigration permission expires, you can reside in Ireland under your stamp 1 permission for a further 6 months. If you have less than 6 months' immigration permission you can have your immigration permission extended to 6 months which means you will have to pay €150 for a new GNIB card. If you have not found a new job after 6 months you will be expected to leave Ireland. If you then get an offer of employment in Ireland you may apply for a new work permit.
Short-time working: if you have been put on short-time working while on a work permit you may apply to have your work permit renewed.


  1. Ug people losing jobs everywhere and having a hard time finding work.

  2. need post how to find the job now..

  3. Good post! Looking forward to reading you next one